“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death.” - Patrick Henry
“I hope that when you’re my age you’ll be able to say, as I have been able to say: we lived in freedom, we lived lives that were a statement, not an apology” - Ronald Reagan
I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. 1 Corinthians 9:26-27
This month (and remaining summer) is going to be CRAZY exciting! We have three different teams doing ministry at Courage Church (Detroit) PLUS we’re hosting our amazing week of outreach & discipleship: 4Days! With so much going on, I’m going to need to be at the top of my game to host, lead, serve, speak and love! So, I’m making some deliberate choices this month for focus, faith and fitness.
I’m looking for a few others to join me. So, I’ve retooled my “Real Life Plan”…
3D: Diet – Devotion – Discipline
- Eat Less …too simple? Here’s more:
- Drink at least 60 ounces of water each day. Carry a water bottle (here’s mine: H2O)
- Eat from all 5 food groups daily (fruit, veggies, grains, meats, dairy)
- Eat until you’re full NOT until your plate is empty. Don’t apologize for not finishing
- Begin each meal by drinking a whole glass of water (will help fill you up)
- When eating out, always try to split meal or ask for half order or à la carte.
- Attempt to eat biggest meal at noon.
- I’m also trying to eliminate or reduce red meat & high carb stuff (pastas, rice, etc)
- Eat less more often – example 5 smaller snacks better than 2-3 big meals
- Between meals, try nuts, bananas, carrots, celery, etc
- Desserts are ok, once a week – or one small piece of dark chocolate per day.
A few NO’s:
- NO deep fried food (things pan fried may be ok on rare occasions)
- NO junk food – candy, chips, sugar beverages, etc.
- NO added sugar – use a little stevia or just go without it…
- NO meals or desserts from 7pm – breakfast. (fruit, veggies are ok. keep drinking h2o)
- NO whining about how hungry you are! When you grumble, drop & do 10 pushups!
- Daily times in Prayer, Word and Witness – grow this!
- Live transparent. Be accountable with at least one other person (who will call you out).
- Keep a daily journal – write your history!
- Service beyond expectations or job requirements, try to do something daily that you cannot be thanked for.
- Live by the daily motto: Today is NOT about me!
- Be generous! Faithful in tithes, offerings & projects – go beyond what’s comfortable & affordable.
- Love people… a lot. Let your joy pave the way… serve family, neighbors, strangers – ANYONE!
- Exercise daily for at least 20-30 minutes. (Get your heart pumping)
- Can be anything, set aside as deliberate exercise: walking, running, sit-ups, treadmill, pushups, arobics, soccer, wii fit, whatever… take stairs whenever possible.
- What seems so hard now will one day be your warm up.
- Get at least 6 hours of sleep – all at once is best – but at least 6 total. Try to use “sleep cycles”: 90 minutes guideline – example – 4.5, 6, 7.5 hours (yes 7.5 is better than 8!)
- Find cheaper entertainment: walks > movies, cafe > restaurant, serving > shopping
- In addition to daily Bible, read at least 1 book per month.
- Limit ALL social media (twitter, instagram, facebook, snapchat) post & then get off! Less selfies!
- Begin & end every day praising God! Seriously, it will bring joy to everyone! Smile!
The above 3Ds are only a guidelines — personalize this to your life & goals.
Ok, so who’s with me? When you post stuff use hashtag: #Be3D
Ok, so here you are – still AWAKE – and you know what? You look like you need a fun little post (yeah, I see you)… so, here’s an easy one:
- What time do you usually go to bed?
- What time do you usually get out of bed?
- Fall asleep to music? a fan? tv? total silence? Other?
- Sleep wear: PJs? Shorts & T-Shirt? None of our business?
- Do you wake to alarm clock, rooster or mobile phone?
- Do you hit the snooze? if yes, how many times?
- Bed size: twin, full, queen, king, bunk or water? Hammock?
- How many pillows do you use?
- Do you remember your dreams? Sometimes? Never?
- Do you sleep hard & wake easily?
- Do you get up during the night for potty and/or snack?
- Do you: a) snore b) talk c) walk d) combination
Ok, that’s enough… Yeah, this quiz isn’t really that unique – but, here you are anyways… thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this – I think it’s a fun, cool & easy way to know others. So, in the comments, number 1-12 and give your answers! Then, go to bed!
Yeah, I should add something spiritual to this thing. Here’s a verse I often pray during my late night sleepless moments in Detroit: “I go to bed and sleep in peace, because, Lord, only you keep me safe.” Psalm 4:8
Like a remote control, the Bible helps me
change the channel in my mind;
and the Holy Spirit pushes the buttons!
A Study of Psalm 52
For the choir director: 52 A psalm of David (regarding the time Doeg the Edomite told Saul that Ahimelech had given refuge to David).
You call yourself a hero, do you? Why boast about this crime of yours, you who have disgraced God’s people? 2 All day long you plot destruction. Your tongue cuts like a sharp razor; you’re an expert at telling lies. 3 You love evil more than good and lies more than truth… 4 You love to say things that harm others, you liar! 5 But God will strike you down once and for all. He will pull you from your home and drag you from the land of the living… 6 The righteous will see it and be amazed. They will laugh and say, 7 “Look what happens to mighty warriors who do not trust in God. They trust their wealth instead and grow more and more bold in their wickedness.” 8 But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God. I trust in God’s unfailing love forever and ever. 9 I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done. I will wait for your mercies in the presence of your people.
Revenge, vindication, retribution, vengeance, justice, and more… ugh! Ahhhh, we’ve ALL wanted it, asked for it and dreamed of it! No one should be allowed to get away with hurting people, being insensitive, lyin’ like a rug, cruelty to kids and, especially, messin’ with God. Yeah, yeah, yeah – I know, we all want to act like we only speak those “praiseworthy” statements found in Psalms but IF we’re honest, we get frustrated, ticked off, upset, hurt, heartbroken, bitter (and worse) - and when we do… LOOK OUT! Can you imagine IF others could hear our thoughts? Ouch.