So much of ‘today’s ministry’ seems BIG & BOLD – every service is a TV-ready performance choreographed down to the last second. Videos, intelligent lighting, 20 member worship band, gourmet lattes and hip leaders. I guess you can’t argue with the results, right? They’re growing & doing great things. This is not a post to rip on them – or anyone… But, what about the rest of ‘us’ without the big budget, cool buildings or paid staff?
Can we reach people without all this stuff? Can we make disciples without a video class? What if we can never afford to fly to a big conference or pay another pastor to ‘coach’ us? Can we still succeed? What if our ‘theology’ doesn’t receive the approval of the reformed or the anointing of the revived? Can we still love hurting people? Can we be effective if we don’t wear the right clothes or have the right hair style? Will you keep doing what you’re doing when the haters make you their poster child?
Does an unchurched person even notice half the
things we try to do to impress them? Hmmm… Continue Reading…
Truth is powerful. Truth is Jesus!
I’ve found myself making choices in behavior, attitude and thought that directly relate to a renewed relationship with Jesus (truth) and His Word. IF I’m not improving, then I’m proving that I’m lazy, lying or lost. Freedom is a gift not a right, it comes through Christ not charisma.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free … So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:32, 36
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
Here’s a few quotes about TRUTH from my journal:
- IF what you’re trusting as TRUTH doesn’t make you FREE, it’s false. That stinks!
- How can we be entertained by lies and still claim to know & love the truth?
- Want to make a difference? Live the Truth!
- What you believe determines how you behave.
- A lot of us are still choosing ‘dare’ (in “truth or dare” game w/ God). We would rather do something daring for God, then be known for truth.
- Truth can speak anywhere because truth is everywhere… Jesus should not have to barge in on my insecurity and pride just to speak truth.
- Truth will never define a coward.
- Dont use spiritual terminology to cover up your rebellion. Call it sin.
- You can lie to yourself about something so many times that you start believing it as truth… and even fight for it.
- Truth is not what you make it to be… If you wanna deny truth to save-face with a friend, you’ve got it all backwards… and you’ve grieved the Holy Spirit.
- Righteousness guards the person of integrity.
- If you’re living in truth, talk to Him and find out where the shadows creep in and fix those cracks.
Are you living in a shade of Grey? Move to Truth & experience God in ways you have yet to have embraced. Truth cannot be stopped – so, be sure you’re living on the side of LIGHT!
A man can no more diminish God’s glory (truth) by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell. ~ C. S. Lewis
Did any of the quotes (above) jump out to you? How is TRUTH impacting your life?
Daring to BE True, Chilly
Jesus said, “Every teacher of religious law who becomes a disciple in the Kingdom of Heaven is like a homeowner who brings from his storeroom new gems of truth as well as old.” Matthew 13:52
I like this for a couple of reasons:
1. Jesus opens the thought & door for religious teachers to be redeemed – in fact, He speaks to the wealth (blessing) that such a conversion brings to the body of Christ!
2. So often we see Jesus ONLY rebuking them or them ATTACKING Him – but, there were many during Jesus earthly mission and afterwards that wholeheartedly changed – NEVER forget, John 3:16 was spoken to ONE man – a religious teacher named Nicodemus. Jesus loved (and loves) everyone!
3. When the ‘religious’ come to relationship with Christ, they bring an understanding of what God has done and what they have learned (the old) and then they are able to make the connection to what Jesus is doing & about to do (the new)… new gems AND old gems.
4. Jesus wants ALL to be saved! Religious, pagan, rich, poor, young, old… ANYONE. And where they have been will become a blessing to where Christ leads them. What the devil meant for evil, God will turn for good. Oh yeah! It’s a Romans 8:28 thing!
Keep your heart open to the lost – fight prejudice, hurt or past… Jesus is STILL seeking & saving the lost. JOIN HIM!
So, those are my thoughts… would love to hear your thoughts too!
searching for gems in the rubble of Detroit, Chilly
Reading some Psalm 48 as my 48th birthday begins…
O God, we meditate on your unfailing love as we worship in your Temple. As your name deserves, O God, you will be praised to the ends of the earth. Your strong right hand is filled with victory. For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever, and he will guide us until we die. Psalm 48:9-10, 14
“It takes a long time to become young.”
~ Pablo Picasso