Today I deactivated my Facebook account.
Gasp! What?! Why??
I know, I know! Crazy, right?!
I had 4,211 Facebook friends. I was Administrator of 4 Facebook pages and 2 Facebook groups. Probably had a combined influence of nearly 10,000 people. And…
I could give you several personal, specific, reasons for this action. We had some security concerns and I made a decision best for my family. I also made the decision to refocus my time, attention, interactions and rest.
Here’s a few other questions or thoughts that played into this decision:
- Why do we spend so much time trying to maintain relationships, statuses and expectations of people online and so little time loving and serving our family, neighbors and community?
- How much time do we waste or sleep do we lose lost in social media?
- Do you have any idea of how many potentially dangerous entities exist on the other side of our computer screen or handheld device? Have you looked closely at these sites on your spouse’s or children’s smart phones and laptops? A few sites: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouNow, Kik, Youtube, Vine, Vimeo, Pinterest, OooVoo, Pheed, Wanelo, Reddit, and MORE! Overwhelmed yet? Any of these could introduce loved ones to predators, pornography, fraud or worse!
- Yep, I know there’s good things that happen via social media — that’s why I’m not telling you to stop. I’m telling ME to back off and refocus. I’m evaluating each media application and seeking to minimize my activity and accessibility.
- The people who truly love you and desire to know, WILL CONNECT WITH YOU. Rather than a random, “hey you” that leads to hours of mindless chatter rarely producing authentic relationship, focus on people you can look at, touch and do life with…
- Facebook was step one. I’m evaluating ALL applications and sites. I’m excited to simplify.
- It’s ok to use social media but DON’T let it use you.
Well, that’s my street corner, megaphone, blog-post rant. Are you still here?? Yeah? Cool! Then let me throw a couple verses at you that I’m meditating on today:
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:2-3
IF you still want to be connected online, you can subscribe to this blog – there’s a place for your email address in the top right. I’d also welcome a coffee in person sometime!
Thanks again for being in my life — for praying for me, reading my stuff and spurring me on! My life is enriched through true friendships! Love, Chilly