I’m wearing running shoes.
Every day. Why? Because God told me to.
Weird, right? Well, sometimes God asks us to do weird stuff (like, he asked Isaiah to walk around for three years completely naked). So, wearing athletic shoes isn’t so bad, right?!
There were really two unique and distinct reasons I felt God calling me to do this:
- I need a daily, constant, reminder that I have been entrusted with a message that needs to be communicated NOW! Check out this verse, “Then the Lord said to me, ‘Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others’.” Habakkuk 2:2 — I have always been motivated by this verse as specific mandate for journaling (I think I’ve always focused on the “write” more than the “runner” in this verse). Journaling is a daily discipline in my life. Which is awesome! But, now God is adding fire to the fuel, “Yes, Chilly, keep journaling — write down everything I tell you — and then, RUN to share this news!” This is why I preach from my journal wherever I go! So, my running shoes communicate to ME that we are in urgent times and I need to stay focused and vigilant!
- The other reason I’m wearing running shoes every day is because I can’t RUN with the message IF I CAN’T run!! In other words, I need to be focused on getting in WAY BETTER SHAPE! I’m embarrassed to admit this but I am determined to change. So, I’m going back to the gym, I’ve joined an adult soccer team, I’m running daily and I’m changing my diet. This is NOT a program — it’s a lifestyle adjustment.
Several years ago, God gave me a simple guide to daily living that I’m now calling “The 3D Life” (formerly, the Real Life Plan) — and, I’m returning to this lifestyle TODAY. I’ve packed away my dress shoes, loafers and boots: I’m ONLY wearing running shoes (or other athletic shoes) on my feet from this point forward. I may not wear any other shoes until my daughter’s wedding at the end of May. It’s my way of being accountable to EVERYONE. So, if you’re around me and you see my sneakers, feel free to ask me, “how’s the 3D thing is going!” OR, if you need a kick in your daily disciplines, JOIN ME (no, you don’t have to do the running shoe thing). Just give me a shout out in the comments!
Here’s the 3D details of my plan:
Diet – Devotion – Discipline
- Eat Less …too simple? Here’s more:
- Drink at least 60 ounces of water each day.
- Eat from all 5 food groups daily (fruit, veggies, grains, meats, dairy)
- Eat until you’re full NOT until your plate is empty. Don’t apologize for not finishing
- Begin each meal by drinking a whole glass of water (will help fill you up)
- When eating out, always split meal with friend or ask for half order
- Attempt to eat biggest meal at noon
- Eat less more often – example 5 smaller snacks better than 2-3 big meals
- Between meals, try granola bars, bananas, celery, etc
- Eat less and less wheat flour (gluten)
- Enjoy fresh coffee (light roasted, drank black).
- Desserts are ok, once a week – or one small piece of dark chocolate per day.
A few NO’s:
- NO deep fried food (things pan fried are ok on rare occasions)
- NO junk food – candy, chips, sugar beverages, etc.
- NO added sugar – learn to love splenda or just go without it…
- NO meals or desserts from 7pm – breakfast. (fruit, veggies are ok – or a bowl of cereal.)
- NO whining about how hungry you are! When you grumble, drop & do 10 pushups!
- Daily times in Prayer, Word and Witness – grow this!
- True weekly accountability with at least one other person (who will call you out).
- Keep a daily journal – write your history!
- Service beyond expectations or job requirements, try to do something daily that you cannot be thanked for.
- Live by the daily motto: Today is NOT about me! … or,even simpler: Today is Jesus!
- Faithful in tithes, offerings & projects – go beyond what’s comfortable & affordable. Live generous!
- Carry and share the book of John (get them FREE here: pocket testaments) – NEVER without it!
- Love people… a lot. Let your joy pave the way… serve family, neighbors, strangers – ANYONE!
- Exercise daily for at least 20-30 minutes
- Can be anything, set aside as deliberate exercise, that gets your heart beating more – walking, running, sit-ups, treadmill, pushups, arobics, wii fit, whatever…
- I use a couple tech things to keep me focused: a wearable fitness tracker (I use Jawbone up2) and the MyFitnessPal app. These keep me focused and moving. Plus, they help me set goals and keep diet on track…
- Get at least 6 hours of sleep – all at once is best – but at least 6 total. Try to use “sleep cycles”: 90 minutes guideline – example – 4.5, 6, 7.5 hours (yes 7.5 is better than 8!)
- Find cheaper entertainment: choose conversation over movie/tv/internet, for example.
- Read at least 2 books per month (I attempt 1 book per week).
- Limit ALL social media. Yes, use twitter / facebook but don’t let them use you.
Thanks for joining me, encouraging me and believing in me! Let’s have an amazing summer!
Living a 3D Life,