- Authentic discipleship MUST be more than a church program.
- It must be more than a bullet list of required Bible verses, prayer routines and outreach events.
- It can’t be contained in a book, classroom or church building.
- It’s messy, difficult, painful, time consuming, demanding, lonely and thankless.
- You’ll want to quit discipleship at some point. Most do in fact.
- An authentic disciple of Christ is a soldier in active duty in a war against the greatest enemy of all time.
In John 6, right after the feeding 5,000+ people and walking on water, Jesus sits down with a large group of people who considered themselves to be disciples. He talked about how He was the bread of life — at this point you can almost hear the “amen’s” but He goes on to say that you can’t really be His disciple unless you eat his flesh and drink his blood. What?? Was He advocating cannibalism? Of course not! Jesus was saying that to be His follower, you must be willing to pay the same price that He was about to pay. LIFE. We must be completely expendable for God’s purpose and will. We must understand that it’s God who makes all things possible. Jesus laid it out there, He honestly made the cost clear and… “At this point many of His disciples turned away and deserted Him” (John 6:66).
They bailed… deserted… QUIT!