From time to time, I take an hour or so to mentor & encourage my friends & followers on Twitter. I simply call it “Tweet Coaching” (hashtag #TweetCoach). Today I interacted with some amazing leaders from all across the country including: Texas, Tennessee, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Maine, Vermont and, of course, Michigan! I even heard from a friend in Northern Ireland!
Here’s a recap from today’s session:
- One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned about prayer is I must be tenacious, tireless & unshakable! Read: Luke 18:1-8 – we quit too easily!
- If we’re not willing to be surprised in prayer – particularly how God answers prayer – we’re not yet ready to pray. Paul Paino
- I’m not taking prayer (or God) seriously IF I don’t take a journal into it. I’m there to listen, learn & obey!
Topic: Women in Ministry – how do we proceed?
- Find a crazy, Godly, woman to serve and learn from at any cost! The BEST resource is a mentor! (Netta Chilton, Jeanne Mayo are a couple that come to mind)
Topic: Overcoming negative feelings & emotions in hard times.
- I remember the story of Jesus in the boat during storm. May seem like He’s sleeping but he’s IN the boat (your life). He didn’t promise no storms, but He did promised to be there! Keep rowing and fix your eyes on the shore!
Topic: How do I define God’s faithfulness?
- God’s faithfulness was described best by Him: “I Am”
Topic: Important lessons about leading corporate prayer.
- In corporate prayer, people are looking for an example not an instructor. They will follow your passion! Lighting candles helps sometimes too!
- Also in corporate prayer, don’t hide behind worship music, dare to break the silence by crying out to God!
Topic: Casting Vision
- Vision is tricky – I think God wants to give it to us but we’re too lazy or afraid to let Him show us something BIG.
- Most people want a vision of the future, but as we know, true prophets also see vision for the NOW.
- If we are faithful with the little things, God will give you bigger vision later!
- Discipleship is key — I invite others into my ‘vision chamber’ … vision creates vision.
Topic: What’s meant by term “pastoral care”?
- I think “Pastor Care” is best described here: Acts 6 — Stephen may have been the best one EVER!
- We need to release our pastor(s) to study, pray & preach. Don’t expect them to do everything in the church – especially something you could (should) do.
Topic: What relationships are key for mentorship & accountability?
- I think we need, like Apostle Paul, someone beneath (Timothy), beside (Silas) and above (Barnabas). Accountability & mentorship.
- The hardest to find, for me, is the Barnabas person above because you have to often teach your mentor how to mentor you. Still pursue it – it’s worth it!
- I don’t think we should simply follow at a distance – be known. There’s strength in the relationship.
Well, that gives a pretty good overview of our conversation this afternoon. It was a lot of fun and I’m so honored by all the interaction.
Our NEXT session will be Friday, March 22nd, at 1pm (EST). Set your reminder and look for #TweetCoach on Twitter!
Feel free to comment about ANY of the subject matter from today!